Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Eating out of the pantry - empanadas!

Okay, I was pretty proud of this one:

Eyeing the random stuff in the fridge yesterday I realized I had a bit of a theme going: leftover chili, shredded cheddar, guacamole, and salsa. I wanted to do something fun with it and rememebered a recipe from Real Simple for Fake-it-don't-make-it Empanadas. I dug out some frozen pizza dough from Trader Joes (1 pound).

Defrost pizza dough and separate into 6 portions. Flour and roll each into an 8-inch circle (I find that the Trader Joes dough really retracts and won't easily roll thin. I rolled each into a small circle, let them rest, and then stretched them when I was ready to fill them.)



Add the filling of your choice - I obviously used the veggie chili. Make sure not to get the topping too close to the edge so it won't interfere with a tight seal:



Add the toppings of your choice - I used up the rest of the defrosted shredded cheddar:



Stretch the dough over the top and press it to seal it. Brush the top with some oil and put onto a greased cookie sheet.



Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes (until lightly browned):



Serve with guacamole and salsa. Eat. Yum.

No comments: