Sunday, June 22, 2008

Meal plan from last week

We were out of town all weekend, so I only made three meals this week. All three were new ones, but I don't have any photos to share. The burritos were too boring to photograph and we skedaddled out of town too soon to take pictures of the salad.

Monday & Tuesday we had Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos. The recipe makes 12 very big burritos and they were absolutely delicious. We all loved them, and will certainly make them again. The best part is that they can be frozen and then reheated individually.

Mashing the beans into the sweet potatoes cuts the overwhelming sweetness of that much potato, and adds tons of fiber and protein. I used four medium-large sweet potatoes, poked holes, wrapped them in tin foil, and threw them in the oven for about an hour at 350. They were nice and mushy when they came out, and I just mashed the beans directly into them with the rest of the ingredients. Nate loved helping to squish them all together; it kept him busy for quite a while. I'm giving this recipe 13 stars.

Wednesday I made up a new recipe: pizza burritos. I took the leftover tortillas, spread them with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Then I sauteed all of the leftover random vegetables in the fridge (mushrooms, spinach, a green pepper, and onions) and threw them on top. Sprinkled with oregano and salt, and folded them up. Stewart had them for lunch and Nate had them for two dinners. They were very good, though obviously nothing special.

What they were was a GREAT, somewhat nutritious, way to use up all of the orphaned vegetables and random shredded cheese and the pasta sauce left in the bottom of the jars. 7 stars.

Thursday I made Curried Couscous With Broccoli and Feta. After I made it, I realized it was a whole lot similar to the rice salad I love to make but with couscous as the grain. Next time I will leave out the feta - I think the flavor is too strong and it just wasn't a coherent part of the flavor of the dish. Anyway, it was great. 16 stars. Definitely going to show up again.

No comments: