Friday, January 2, 2009

Frugal report: January 2

Today was great for taking advantage of our city and neighborhood.

First we walked down to the National Building Museum to meet an old friend of mine and her 3 year-old. The boys hit it off wonderfully and really clicked. My friend and I haven't seen each other in 10 years but it was really like no time had passed at all. Jack charmed everyone he came in contact with.

I packed lunches to bring, but I did buy some special groceries for the event so it wasn't totally cost-free.

Transportation costs: none (walked both ways)
Food costs: $8 (for 3 toddlers and 2 adults)
Entertainment costs: none (museum is free)

In other news...

My good friend on the street works part-time as a yoga instructor and occasionally needs babysitters in the afternoons and evenings for her daughter Sophia, who happens to be Nate's best friend. In in the spirit of our challenge, I mentioned that my doors are officially open for babysitting jobs.

She called today and I babysat Sophia for just over an hour this afternoon. She and Nate played and had a great time, and I added $15 to our income.

So much for city life being so expensive, huh?

No comments: